- Harry Belafonte / Mary’s Boy Child : I can’t find the version that I L-O-V-E because not only was it sold on a cassette but it also seems like no one thought it was a good idea to make that available on a digital format… (no comments). We had a Hallmarks compilation Christmas cassette that had this song on it but with a particular version with a boy’s choir and boy oh boy was it the best. It brings back so much memories and it is so kitsch!
- Bing Crosby / the entire White Christmas album : It’s a timeless classic that I can listen to over and over again. His voice is just perfection! And do I need to say anything about Mele Kalikimaka : best thing ever.
- Tony Bennett / The Christmas Album Snowfall : I could listen to that album all year long. It makes me feel so relaxed and chill. It feels like light snow falling on the ground, hot chocolate, and I love the arrangements even though simple.
- Ella Fitzgerald / A Swinging Christmas : First, can we talk about the artwork! It represents exactly the feel of this album, it swings, its festive, its a Mad Men Christmas Party at it’s best! Oh Ella!
Let’s say it was recorded after 1970:
- Coldplay / Christmas Lights : This is a very unusual Christmas song, but it is so pretty! It’s Coldplay at its best and I never get tired of listening to that song.
- Diana Krall / Christmas Songs : One of the best album of all times, seriously! Are you kidding me with those big band arrangements? It is PER-FECT from A to Z! Even if you don’t like Diana (not the princess of course, because who doesn’t love her?) you will like this album, it swings like cray-cray!
- She and Him / A very She and Him Christmas : Even though I’m not the biggest She and Him fan, this album I find is refreshing. It has a Beach Boys’ kinda vibe. It’s smooth, soft and shows variety in Christmas music which is a plus.
- Pentatonix / Silent night (live version) : Well, what is there left to say about those brilliant, talented singers and the guy who arranges songs for them. WOW! This version gives me goosebumps and please notice the base, IN-SA-NE.
I could have listed, Charlie Brown, Mariah Carey, Nat King Cole, Rat Pack, Billie Holiday, Johnny Cash, and sooooo many more. In the french department, there aren’t that many, but THE classic in my household is Marie-Michèle Desrosiers, A MUST!
What are your favorites? Would you have any suggestions for me?